Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency

Service tools

Navigation path

1. How does the selection process take place?

All eligibile proposals will be assessed by two groups of independent academic experts, one in the EU and one in Canada. After this a joint EU-Canada selection committee comprising by the Agency, European Commission and the partner country authorities will analyse the received proposals in order to establish a list of projects to be recommended for funding.

2. When is the next call for proposal published?

In the context of the EU-Canada Programme yearly calls for proposals are organised. It is foreseen that calls for proposals will be published at the end of the each year in November or December during the programme lifetime, between 2006-2013.

3. When are the applicants informed about the selection results?

The applicants are informed about the results only after the entire selection procedure has been finalised and the list of projects recommended for funding has been approved by authorities both in the EU and in Canada.

The application procedure follows the following indicative timetable:

December 2009 Publication of the call for proposals 24th March 2010 Deadline for submission of applications May 2010 Assessment of applications by independent experts May 2010 Joint selection by the Agency and HRSDC June 2010 Awarding of grants (adoption of the official decision) July 2010 Informing the applicants by email and letter July 2010 Publication of the list of selected projects on the Agency website August 2010 Signing of grant agreements September 2010 Start of project activities

4. When is the next deadline for applying for the programme?

The deadline for submitting of proposals for the present Call for Proposals is the 24th March 2010. The following Calls for proposals are foreseen to be announced every year by the end of the year

5. Which countries are eligible for funding? (Chapter 4.3 of the Programme guide)

EU-Canada Programme is open to higher education institutions and vocational training institutions, provided they are established in the EU Member States or in Canada.

The eligible countries are:

  • 27 EU Member States;

  • Canada

6. Which types of institutions are eligible for funding?

In the EU-Canada programme Higher Education Institutions(HEI) and vocational education and training (VET) institutions, at post-secondary level, from the EU Member States and from Canada are eligible for funding.

Natural persons cannot apply for funding directly in this Call.

Please note that a full account of eligible beneficiaries and participants is included in the Programme Guide Chapter 4.1

7. Can vocational training institutions participate in the programme?

Higher vocational training institutions on post-secondary level are eligible, if they respect the other eligibility criteria.


8. Can the programme give guidelines as to how to find partners for a consortium?

There are no specific partner finding systems but you may find useful to consult the Compendium of previous projects that have been funded within this programme http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/extcoop/canada/index_en.htm. You can also contact the following website of the Canadian contact point for information of Canadian post secondary institutions:


9. How many countries are required for a partnership?

Each project consortium has to include at least four institutions – i.e. two from the EU and two from Canada. These institutions may be either higher education or vocational education and training institutions.

There is also a requirement that the institutions have to be from at least two different EU Member States and at least two different Canadian provinces/territories.

Please note that a full account requirements is included in the Programme Guide Chapter 4.2.

10. I would like to study in Canada, can I apply for a grant through EU-Canada programme?

Unfortunately this program only gives financial support to a group of EU and Canadian higher education and training institutions that form a consortium with the goal to achieve specific objectives, such as realising student exchanges. Consequently, only students registered at the universities selected can apply to their university to do a period of study in Canada. This programme does not serve directly individuals seeking study opportunities abroad or scholarship.

For additional information about funding opportunities for studies in Canada the following links might be useful:

http://portal.unesco.org/education/fr/ev.php URL_ID=21997&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

11. Can researchers apply for the programme?

The EU-Canada Programme does not support studies at PhD level.

Ph.D. students may want to look at the Erasmus Mundus programme at the following website:


Furthermore, if you are a researcher, you may also be interested in the Marie Curie Programme and its various mobility actions: http://ec.europa.eu/research/mariecurieactions/.

12. Is a non-European student eligible for programme under the consortium?

The eligibility of the student in Europe has to be decided following the below rule:

European students must be citizens of the European Union or third-country nationals who have been legal residents in the European Union for at least three years (and for purposes other than study) before the start of the outgoing mobility; they need to be enrolled in one of the participating European institution within the consortium;

Canadian students must be post-secondary students with Canadian citizenship, landed immigrants, or granted refugee status in Canada, enrolled in one of the participating Canadian institutions within the consortium, and be between the ages of 15 and 30. A valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) is required and the student should not be in receipt of Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.

13. What is a letter of endorsement?

The application should include one-page endorsement letter from each partner organization confirming its participation. The letters of endorsement should demonstrate the institutional commitment and will be taken into account as qualitative criteria during the assessment. These letters should be written on the institutions’ letter-headed paper and should be signed by senior academic or executive officers competent to commit the institution on legal and financial matters (e.g. rector, vice chancellor, provost, dean, director, or president) from each EU and Canadian lead and partner institutions, indicating notably:

  • how the project fits within the international strategy of the institution or organisation and will complement that strategy;

  • the institution’s commitment to signing formal agreements on credit transfer or recognition and tuition fee waivers with the international partners in the project;

  • A confirmation that the institution is willing to provide financial support to the project.

14. What is a Memorandum of Understanding?

Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) is a formal agreement between the partners on credit recognition and/or transfer prior to the first exchange of students, to the effect that students will not increase their time required for degree completion as a result of studying abroad within the project.

Memorandum of understanding needs to stipulate on:

  • Details on full recognition of credit and/or transfer of credits prior the exchange of the students. Student mobility can start only once the Memorandum of Understanding has been signed by the partners concerned.

  • All the necessary administrative agreements concerning the mobilities from all partner institutions.

The mobility can be implemented only with signed agreements or memoranda of understanding that demonstrate the commitment of the partner institutions. The most competitive proposals submit signed agreements as part of their application package. Memoranda may be signed in the first few months of the first year but no student may commence study abroad until all partners sign the documents.

15. What is the minimum length of stay abroad for students to be mobile?

Two types of partnerships projects, TEP or TDP have following requirements:

Transatlantic exchange projects (TEP):

1.For Bachelors or Masters programmes the minimum length of stay abroad is between minimum 4 months - maximum 1 year (1 academic term)

This may be split between 2 host institutions in which case minimum 2 months/institution

2. For Vocational Training programmes the length of stay abroad is between minimum 2 months and maximum 1 academic year

Also short intensive programmes of 3 weeks of more are funded when part of longer and more comprehensive programme of international study or training: Please see the Programme Guide Chapter 5.2.1. for more details.

Transatlantic degree projects (TDP):

The length if study abroad should be at least 1 academic year, approximately 10 months.

Please see the Programme Guide Chapter 6.2.for more details.

16. What is the minimum/maximum length of stay of faculty to be mobilised?

What is the maximum length of stay of faculty staff to be mobilised?

Two types of partnerships projects, Transatlantic exchange projects (TEP) and Transatlantic degree projects TDP have following requirements:

  • Maximum length of stay for faculty staff is 2 months.
  • The minimum duration being 1 week.

Please note that full account requirements are included in the Programme Guide Chapter 5.3 and 6.3 respectively.

17. Who can participate in Faculty Mobility?

Support includes grants for members of the academic and administrative staff (“faculty”). Faculty mobility is meant for teachers, trainers, administrators, and other relevant specialists who are involved in the project. These exchanges should be structured periods of project related work ( administrative work or teaching assignments) in the partner institution in Canada. .

The duration of faculty mobility can vary between one and eight weeks.

18. What are the funding amounts?

The maximum amount for transatlantic exchange projects (TEP) is of 138.000 € for the European partners to cover the whole 3 years' project duration.

The maximum amount for Transnational Degree (TD) projects is of 428.000 € for the European partners to cover the whole 4 years' project duration.

The breakdown of the funding amounts is following:

  • a flat rate amount of a maximum of EUR 18.000 for TEP and 60.000 for TDP projects for expenses incurred by consortium partners;

  • mobility scholarships for students at EUR 1.000 per month and student;

  • mobility scholarships for faculty at EUR 1.000 per week and faculty member;

  • contributions towards travel and relocation costs of EUR 1.000 per student/faculty member receiving a mobility scholarship.

The lump sums for mobility cannot be changed and the subsistence allowances indicated above must be paid in full to the grantees.
However, the payment of grants/subsistence allowances can be paid fractioned and disbursed on a regular basis, but in any case in advance. Please note that further details with indicative table can be found in the programme guide chapter 11.2.2.

19. Is mobility of EU students within Europe funded by the programme?

The mobility costs of European students within Europe will not be funded by the EU-Canada Programme. As a result, consortia institutions are invited to arrange additional sources of funding for students, including the Erasmus/Lifelong Learning programme, in relation to the period of study to be spent in the second EU institution.

You will find Erasmus/Lifelong Learning programmes from the following website: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/programme/who_participate_en.php http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/llp/index_en.php

20. Can partnerships charge tuition and registration fees directly to students?

It is recommended that students studying abroad will continue to pay tuition and any other applicable fees at their home institution and host institutions should not charge any additional fees to the students concerned. This includes fees for tuition, registration, examinations, and the use of library and laboratory facilities. The consortium must have reached formal agreement (Memorandum of Understanding - MOU) on these issues prior to the first exchange of students and provide HRSDC and the Agency with a copy of the MOU after one year.

21. What kind of costs can be covered by the "Administrative Flat rate"?

Cost directly linked to the implementation of the project can be covered by the administrative flat rate. For example shorter term mobility in the context of project meeting and workshops, salaries for administration, office costs for organising student mobility, creation of websites, publications. Mobility costs are not covered by administrative flatrate


Last update: 12/12/2013  Print | Top of page